Looking for Funding?
Core supports a range of research projects from Development Awards which can support a project during its initial stages to full multi-year Fellowships.
BSPGHAN/Core Grant 2015
Core (www.corecharity.org.uk) and The British Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (BSPGHAN www.bspghan.org.uk) promote collaborative research studies across the spectrum of adult and paediatric gastrointestinal, hepatological and nutritional disorders.
Core and BSPGHAN are co-funding a scheme to provide financial support for the collection of pilot or proof-of-concept data that will enable a high-quality competitive application to be made subsequently to a research council or other large funder. Applications are therefore invited from collaborators planning multicentre research studies on any topic within paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition.
Research call details: Core and BSPGHAN propose to fund 2 projects with awards up to £40,000/project over a maximum of 18 months. Indirect costs will not be supported. Provided the study meets the NIHR’s definition of ‘research study’, the selected project(s) will also be eligible for adoption by the UK Clinical Research Network and therefore will be eligible for NHS support costs. Funding will be available only in the UK.
- The research should cover an aspect of paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and/or nutrition
- The project must involve collaboration across at least two paediatric units (undertaking gastroenterology or hepatology or nutrition at a secondary or tertiary level.
How to apply: Download the application form and guidance notes here. Please submit your application by email to email@example.com and post one wet-signed copy to Core, 3 St Andrews Place, London NW1 4LB. Applications will be considered incomplete until the wet-signed copy has been received.
Deadline: Wednesday 11 February 5pm
(Grant Terms & Conditions, and application process, can be downloaded here)
Core Research Prize
Core is offering a £1,000 prize for an essay (of approximately 1,000 words) describing the applicant’s clinical or scientific research in any area of gastroenterology/hepatology. The research must have been recently completed by the applicant and undertaken during the applicant’s PhD or MD degree. A list of the applicant’s relevant published work (including abstracts) should be appended.
The work should be the subject of at least one abstract submitted for possible presentation at the 2015 DDF Scientific Meeting (abstract submission deadline 27 February 2015). Applicants should include copies of submitted abstracts with their application.
Application forms will soon be available here. The application deadline is 5pm on Monday 16th March 2015; applications received after this time will not be considered. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Dr Falk Pharma UK / Core Awards
The Dr Falk/Core awards recognise those who bring new knowledge and insight to the field of gastroenterology and hepatology. For those committed to furthering research or patient care, the awards are an opportunity to achieve national recognition as well as the financial support for career progression.
- A £1,000 prize for the best essay on gastroenterology research personally undertaken by medical students who were on an intercalated BSc/MSc course during 2013/14 (previous academic year)
- Four £1,500 bursaries for medical students taking full time science degrees (BSc/MSc/MBPhD) focusing on GI / hepatology related diseases in 2014/15 (current academic year)
- Two £2,500 bursaries to support research for F1/F2 doctors who are currently undertaking research in an area relevant to gastroenterology
- A £1,000 award for primary and secondary care nurses for initiatives that have advanced patient care.
The application deadline is 5pm on Monday 16th March 2015. Applications received after this time will not be considered.